Tuesday 17 January 2012

Coastguard raged at liner captain, tape shows


Coastguard raged at liner captain, tape shows: Italian Coast Guard ordered the captain was angry Italian cruise ship turned to go back on board to oversee the evacuation, but he is not in accordance with spectacular record of the business played on national television.

Record reflects the chaos and confusion in the record of Costa Concordia, carrying over 4,000 passengers and crew members, hit the stone from the Tuscan coast on Friday night and more streamlined.

Captain Francesco Schettino, who have already taken the lifeboat can be heard of Gregorio De Falco, the Coast Guard officer based in the Italian port of Livorno west.

Eleven people were confirmed killed and 23 missing.

De Falco later gave an interview to a local newspaper in Livorno, where he said that he could say "the tone of the captain," that something was wrong. Schettino's lawyer said he would not comment.

Record is full of background noise like radio static, sound signals and background noise of people and confusion.

Translated by Reuters, the conversation was as follows:

Coast Guard: Good morning.

Captain: Good evening, sir.

Coast Guard: Look, it's De Falco Livorno. I spoke with the captain?

Captain: Good evening, Chef De Falco.

Coast Guard: Tell me your name, please.

Captain: I am the captain Schettino, boss.

Coast Guard: Schettino?

Captain: Yes.
Coast Guard: Well, Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now, you go with your boat. On the bow on the right side is a staircase. You can climb the stairs and go on the ship. By the ship and get back to me and tell me how many people there. This is understandable. I'm recording this conversation, Captain Schettino.

(The captain is trying to say, but the coast guard can not hear clearly. Voices in the Hall of the Coast Guard).

Coast Guard: Express yourself! (The captain is trying to say) the master, put his hand on the microphone and speak loudly!

Captain: At the moment the ship listing.

Coast Guard: There are people who come to the bottom of the bow. Even in the opposite direction, returning to the ship, and tell me how many people there are and what they have on board. Tell me if there are children, women, and what help they need. And you tell me the number for each category. Is that clear?

Listen Schettino, maybe you have saved from the sea, but I'll make you very sick. I'll make you pay for it. Heck, on board!

(Noise can be heard in the background. Apparently other officers of the Coast Guard shouting at each other in the same room on the "ship, the ship")

Captain: Please ...

Coast Guard: There is no "please" on this board to make sure that you will be back on board ..!

Captain: I'm in the lifeboat, I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. I am here.

Coast Guard: What are you doing, captain?

Captain: I'm here to help coordinate ...

Coast Guard: (interrupting): What do you coordinate this! Climb aboard! Coordination of rescue on board! You refuse?

Captain: No, I do not refuse.

Coast Guard: Are you refusing to go on board, captain? Tell me, why do not you go on board.

Captain: (inaudible) ... lifeboat is another ...

The Coast Guard (interrupting, shouting): You will find on board! That's an order! There is nothing for you to consider. You have reached the "abandon ship." Now I will give orders. Back on board. Is that clear? Can you hear me?

Captain: I'm on board.

Coast Guard: Go! Call me right away when you're on board. Rescue my people in front of the arc.

Captain: Where is your boat?

Coast Guard: My lifeboat is in the bow. Go! There are already organizations, Schettino. Go!

Captain: How many bodies are there?

Coast Guard: I do not know! ... Christ, you must be the one to tell me that!

Captain: You know, it's dark and you see nothing?

Coast Guard: So what do you want to do, go home, Schettino? It's dark and you want to go home? By the bow, where the scale and tell me what to do, how many people there, and what they need! Now!

Captain: My second in command to me.

Coast Guard: So you two go! Both of you! What is the name of your second in command?

Captain: His name is Dmitry (static) "

Coast Guard: What the rest of his name? (Static) you and your commander on board now! Is that clear?

Captain: Hey, boss, I want to go on board the boat, and others here, was arrested and is located downstream. I called ...

Coast Guard: (interrupting): You were telling me this for hours! Now go to the board! Climb aboard and immediately tell me how many people!

Captain: Well, the boss.

Coast Guard: Go! Immediately!

(Reporting by Philip Pullella, edited by Peter Graff)

No comments:

Post a Comment